Review: To All The Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han

Title: To All the Boys I've Loved Before
Author: Jenny Han
Publication: April 15th 2014 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Genre: YA Contemporary
Source: Owned
Goodreads

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is the story of Lara Jean, who has never openly admitted her crushes, but instead wrote each boy a letter about how she felt, sealed it, and hid it in a box under her bed. But one day Lara Jean discovers that somehow her secret box of letters has been mailed, causing all her crushes from her past to confront her about the letters: her first kiss, the boy from summer camp, even her sister's ex-boyfriend, Josh. As she learns to deal with her past loves face to face, Lara Jean discovers that something good may come out of these letters after all.

-- My Rating --
5/5 Oscars: Loved it

-- My Thoughts --

     Who hasn't heard of Jenny Han and her amazing contemporary novels? I had heard a lot about her, and when her new book came out and it was immediately raved about, I knew that I needed to read this.
     Lara Jane Song lives with her two sisters, Margot and Kitty, and their single father. Her life is as normal as it can be. But then, Margot is leaving for college. And Lara Jane is alone taking care of her family. And then, the five letters she'd secretly written to the boys she'd loved before, are all send in the mail. She has to confront all her previous loves, for better or for worse.
     I absolutely adored this novel. First, there's the setting and the idea of the novel. Lara Jane lets go of her loves by writing them a final letter and sealing it and keeping it hidden. But accidentally, all her letters get sent. Then, it's all about confronting the boys she loved before. I loved this idea. It's something so unique that I wish I had thought of myself (I'm jealous of Jenny Han's mind!)
     Then, there are the characters. Which are, by far, this book's strongest suit. I LOVED Lara Jane. I don't think I have ever loved a character as much as I love her. She's so loyal, encouraging, teasing, selfless, smart, and quirky. She's the kind of girl I want to have as my sister. Share my experiences with her. I loved that she was also half-Korean, which added a lot of traditional details to the novel. Then, there are the secondary characters. There's Margot, Lara Jane's sister, who has like a lovable control-freak and a great symbol of a role model, then there's Kitty, Lara Jane's younger sister, who is just adorable. There was not one single character in this book that wasn't three-dimensional and lovable.
     Then, we'll go to the boys. There's Josh (Joshy), who is Margot's boyfriend,  but he is also one of the guys Lara Jane loved. So he received her letter. Then,there's Peter K, who also receives her letter. These two guys are polar opposites, but they are both adorable. Specially Peter with his arrogant attitude but heart of gold. I just want to jump into this book and hug this guy tight! i loved him that much.
     The romance in this novel is beautiful. It might just be for pretend, at first. But Lara Jane's feelings are so real and palpable. I felt for her and I felt with her. I loved all the confrontations she had with the guys, other than Josh and Peter. She is incredibly funny, sweet, and shy. And I definitely did NOT expect who she ended up with at the end.
     The ending was beautiful. It wasn't what i expected, not by a long shot. But I was so happy about it. When I turned the last page on my e-reader, I was grinning so wide my mouth hurt, and I was half-sad that such a great book was over. It's been a LONG time since I've found a contemporary that I enjoyed so much. This book is a gem;  it will make you laugh out loud, get into a thoughtful trans, and fall in love all at the same time. It's beautiful, truly. And I just found that a second book is coming out! YAY! Can't wait for more of Lara Jane!

4 comments:

  1. I've wanted to read this book for the longest time, and now I want to read it even more! Great review! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha LOVED this one too! :D And that ending!! RIGHT? Awesome review and thanks for stopping by! <3

    ReplyDelete

Jot down your feels, your thoughts, your musings
I Listen!