ARC Review: Trial by Fire by Josephine Angelini

Title: Trial by Fire (The Worldwalker Trilogy #1)
Author: Josephine Angelini
Publication: August 28th 2014 by Macmillan Children's Books
Genre: YA Paranormal Fantasy
Source: provided by the kind publisher...
Goodreads

The exhilaratingly seductive new series from the author of the bestselling Starcrossed series

Love burns. Worlds collide. Magic reigns.

This world is trying to kill Lily Proctor. Her life-threatening allergies keep her from enjoying many of the experiences that other teenagers take for granted...which is why she is determined to enjoy her first (and perhaps only) high-school party. But Lily's life never goes according to plan, and after a humiliating incident in front of half her graduating class Lily wishes she could just disappear.

Suddenly Lily is in a different Salem - one overrun with horrifying creatures and ruled by powerful women called Crucibles. Strongest and cruellest of all the Crucibles is Lillian . . . Lily's identical other self in this alternate universe. This new version of her world is terrifyingly sensual, and Lily is soon overwhelmed by new experiences.

Lily realizes that what makes her weak at home is exactly what makes her extraordinary in New Salem. It also puts her life in danger. Thrown into a world she doesn't understand, Lily is torn between responsibilities she can't hope to shoulder alone, and a love she never expected.

But how can Lily be the saviour of this world when she is literally her own worst enemy?


-- My Rating --
5/5 Oscars: Loved it

-- My Thoughts --

     I heard a lot about Josephine Angelini for a long time so when I found her newest book up for review, I decided to read it. And oh, what a thrill ride it was.
     Lily Proctor's life has never been easy. With her many allergies and her sensitive skin, she is prone to a life that no teenage girl should endure. But all that changes when she is pulled into a different life. When everything she has is counted as a strength, not a weakness. When trust is the most valuable weapon. And when she finds out who she truly  is;  a powerful crucible.
     I haven't read a lot of witch-related books, like, never. I was just not a fan. But all that changed when I read this. I expected just a typical paranormal romance, as it's always expected. But Josephine Angelini passed all my expectations. She created a whole new world inside ours. It was so captivating and unique.
     Her descriptions are wonderful. Detailed and never boring. I could vividly picture the world she created under my eyelids. Then, there's the plot. The plot is complex and multi-layered. This is the second book I read about parallel universes and the subject is still my favorite. It has so much potential. There are so many different aspects to consider. but what I really liked the best about this is that it didn't concentrate on the scientific part that much, it gave room for the plot to develop. Not just be weighed down with issues and scientific authenticity. The whole witch aspect is so well thought-out and original.
     Then, there are the characters. Lily is such an awesome character. She's so kind and insecure and beautifully human. But of course, my favorite character was Rowan. He is such a complex three-dimensional piece of perfection. I absolutely adored every single scene that he was in. There is also Tristan, who has a role in both books. And Lillian, our evil doppelganger; she is the villain of this story, but her own story is really intriguing in itself. You never know her motives, you don't why she is doing this or how does this benefit her in anyway? I was intrigued by her and cannot wait to know more.
     The romance is sizzling hot. I didn't want to pass any second of the hot chemistry between Rowan and Lily. and thankfully, there is not love triangle. I was so happy about that. The ending took me by surprise, it ended really abruptly. Overall, this might be one of my favorite books in 2014. It has the right touch of lore, complexity,and romance. I cannot wait for book two!

16 comments:

  1. Oooh, glad to hear a good review of this one! I've not read any of this author's books, but have heard a lot of good things in the past, so thought about trying this one. Your review has made me think again about wanting to read it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually a really great book
      You should definitely check it out
      Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  2. I'm not that into witch stories either, but this book has been getting so many good reviews that I hope to read it soon! I'm glad that characters are so strong and there is a swoon-worthy boy! :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Soma! Thanks for visiting my site So glad to hear that you adore this book. I have this on my tar pile. Your review makes me want to read it right away!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a great book! You should read it soon!

      Delete
  4. I am so glad that you read and loved this one! I loved it too. The world was amazing and I loved the characters. I am dying for the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I wonder how many things are in store
      There's just so much potetial

      Delete
  5. Glad you liked this one. I wasn't a huge fan of Josephine Angelini's previous series but I've heard lots of good things about Trial by Fire so will probably give it a go. Happy to hear there's no love triangle, hope it stays that way. Great review, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to admit I was a bit creeped out by the romance in this one, but the rest of it was pretty brilliant and I can't wait to read more! Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Why? I had no problem with the romance, though it was a bit weird at times
      thanks for stopping by, sweetie pie!

      Delete
  7. Ahhhhh! I love that you enjoyed this so much! I haven't read many witch books either, but I'm so excited for this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should be ! It has so many different aspects, exciting!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. I also loved this book! can´t wait for its sequel.

    ReplyDelete

Jot down your feels, your thoughts, your musings
I Listen!