Review: Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway

Title: Audrey, Wait!
Author: Robin Benway
Publication:April 10th 2008 by Razorbill
Genre: YA Contemporary
Source: Owned

California high school student Audrey Cuttler dumps self-involved Evan, the lead singer of a little band called The Do-Gooders. Evan writes, “Audrey, Wait!” a break-up song that’s so good it rockets up the billboard charts. And Audrey is suddenly famous!

Now rabid fans are invading her school. People is running articles about her arm-warmers. The lead singer of the Lolitas wants her as his muse. (And the Internet is documenting her every move!) Audrey can't hang out with her best friend or get with her new crush without being mobbed by fans and paparazzi.

Take a wild ride with Audrey as she makes headlines, has outrageous amounts of fun, confronts her ex on MTV, and gets the chance to show the world who she really is.


-- My Rating --


4/5 Oscars: Really liked it

-- My Thoughts --

     I chose to read this book just by chance. I didn't know what it was about, I haven't read the blurb. So, I dove totally blind into this one, and I cannot believe how much I liked it.
     Audrey dumps Evan. And then he writes her a song "Audrey, Wait!". And then, the song becomes a sensation. Now, everyone knows Audrey's name. The cameras follow her around. And nothing is staying private anymore. But alongside all that, there's the guy she knew forever, James, always there for her. But Audrey still has to choose between fame and her normal life.
     I always like books that have a little bit of the celebrity-life in them. And I really liked it that Robin Benway tried to explain the down side of being famous. And she nailed it. The whole concept of this book is well-developed. The plot is swift-moving, it is at times slow, but that's what you come to expect from contemporary books. And I didn't mind it.
     The main characters are three-dimensional. Audrey is a typical teenager. She makes her mistakes, she has flaws, but she is altogether a great girl. And she feels real. You could connect with her on so many different levels. Most of the focus of this book has been given to Audrey, and the other characters were not really well-developed. I didn't mind that, either. But I DID wish that they were a little more developed.
     The romance is at its very peak. It's sweet, slow, and real. of course, there are no overly steamy moments. and they are teenagers. They make mistakes, which is definitely normal. I liked the author's approach on the romance avenue. It didn't jump from "like" to "love" and I appreciated that.
     Overall, this book is a cute summer read. One that you can enjoy on the beach, or on your front porch on a sunny day. One that is not fully deep or supernatural, but is a picture of real life with a touch of fiction. And who doesn't like a twist to their normal lives?

2 comments:

  1. Yay I got this one for my birthday earlier this year and I heard it was really good. I've ony read a couple of books with a celebrity life topic and I find it so fascinating. I mean a lot of it is fairy-tale-ish but still. This one sounds really fun and refreshing for a quick weekend read! Great review, Soma! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It\s a great book indeed
      THanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Jot down your feels, your thoughts, your musings
I Listen!