Review: The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen

Name of book: The False Prince (The Ascendance Trilogy #1)
Author: Jennifer A. Nielsen
Publication: April 1st 2012 by Scholastic
Genre: MG Fantasy
Source: Won @JeanBookNerd

THE FALSE PRINCE is the thrilling first book in a brand-new trilogy filled with danger and deceit and hidden identities that will have readers rushing breathlessly to the end.

In a discontent kingdom, civil war is brewing. To unify the divided people, Conner, a nobleman of the court, devises a cunning plan to find an impersonator of the king's long-lost son and install him as a puppet prince. Four orphans are recruited to compete for the role, including a defiant boy named Sage. Sage knows that Conner's motives are more than questionable, yet his life balances on a sword's point -- he must be chosen to play the prince or he will certainly be killed. But Sage's rivals have their own agendas as well.

As Sage moves from a rundown orphanage to Conner's sumptuous palace, layer upon layer of treachery and deceit unfold, until finally, a truth is revealed that, in the end, may very well prove more dangerous than all of the lies taken together.

An extraordinary adventure filled with danger and action, lies and deadly truths that will have readers clinging to the edge of their seats.

-- My Rating --



3.5 / 5 Oscars: Liked it...

-- My Thoughts --

     This book was a pleasant surprise. I still don't know if it's middle-grade or YA, but I think it bends more toward the middle grade genre. And I have no experience in the genre, but this book was a perfect dose of mischief and action.
     Sage is an orphan boy with a mysterious past in a cruel and magical world. But one day, a lord takes him and three other boys under his wing. But the lord has a plan, a treacherous plan. A plan to make one of the boys, the lost prince of the country. And the three others won't get out of it alive. So Sage must use his one chance of survival. He MUST become the prince, or die trying.
     If that is not intriguing enough, then what it? Well there were a lot of things that I liked about this book. The first being the world-building, it was subtle, but when it was there, it was perfect. I loved it that the author provided a map of the country and its surrounding lands. The second thing that I liked was the characters. Sage is a wonderful, understandable teenage-boy. He is around my age group, so I could relate to him, though his bravery and sarcasm were over-the-edge at times.  Also loved the HUGE cast of supporting characters, specially Imogen and Tobias. I will definitely be reading the second book in the series!

4 comments:

  1. I heard this was more MG than YA yeah but it sounds pretty good. I really enjoy these types of fantasies sometimes and it sounds like this one is really well created with great world building and characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty good Giselle and it will appeal to you

      Delete
  2. I don't read too much MG, but a good book... is a good book. :) Sounds like it has a good world building and characters. Oh I can see me enjoying this one. :)

    ReplyDelete

Jot down your feels, your thoughts, your musings
I Listen!