Review: The Nightmare Affair by Mindee Arnett

Title: The Nightmare Affair (The Arkwell Academy #1)
Author: Mindee Arnett
Publication: March 5th 2013 by Tor Teen
Genre: YA Paranormal Fantasy
Source: Provided by the kind publisher...
Goodreads

Sixteen-year-old Dusty Everhart breaks into houses late at night, but not because she’s a criminal. No, she’s a Nightmare.

Literally.

Being the only Nightmare at Arkwell Academy, a boarding school for magickind, and living in the shadow of her mother’s infamy, is hard enough. But when Dusty sneaks into Eli Booker’s house, things get a whole lot more complicated. He’s hot, which means sitting on his chest and invading his dreams couldn’t get much more embarrassing. But it does. Eli is dreaming of a murder.

Then Eli’s dream comes true.

Now Dusty has to follow the clues—both within Eli’s dreams and out of them—to stop the killer before more people turn up dead. And before the killer learns what she’s up to and marks her as the next target.


-- My Rating --


4/5 Oscars: Really Liked It...

-- My Thoughts --

     The Nightmare Affair has been getting a lot of buzz from the blogging world, and since I am such a fan of fantasy, I knew I would love this. Sarcasm. Action. Romance. This book has it all.
     Dusty has been overshadowed by her mum's bad reputation all the time. Now, that she has discovered that she is a Nightmare, feeding on people's dreams has become her job. It's normal enough for a supernatural being, up until one night, she feeds on the gorgeous human, Eli. But nothing goes on as planned. Caught up in a whirlwind of action and romance, Dusty has to choose sides to save all the supernatural beings and whom her heart truly desires.
     I have to say that the concept of Nightmares was refreshing. There have been many research on where nightmares come from but the direction Mindee Arnett took surprised me and I totally liked it. She knew how to capture the teenage angst in Dusty's character. Dusty is a character you will like, root for, then adore. I adored her every move.
     For those who hate love triangles, you have been warned. I am not a huge fan myself, but the one in this book was executed perfectly, and I loved both guys so much that I didn't know who to choose until the end. Then, it became crystal clear. The twists and turns in this book are plenty, although some are predictable, others left me gasping and wondering what just happened.
     The action in this book is nonstop. It is exhilarating and heart-racing. The sarcasm and the load of characters are amazing. Mindee Arnett has created a stunning debut, this book has lots of potential! And to say, I am dying to read more of this world, would be an understatement.
---
“Geez,” I said, looking back at Selene. “Is being at the top of the social food chain like a universal birthright or something?” She grimaced. “I think there’s a national registry. It’s online at eat- crap- dot- com.”
---
If sarcasm were butter, you could’ve spread him over toast.
---
“But why?” I knew his answer already, but I thought I would rather avoid all negative situations from here on out instead. Maybe I should become a nun.
---

10 comments:

  1. Great review! I really enjoyed the sarcasm and the new concept in this book as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote this whole long comment and google ate it! *curses* lol I also love this concept. It's fascinating to me. And I'm so happy to hear the love triangle is done well. I like those type. Great review! I can't wait to read this one!

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google does that sometimes, i hate it :(
      THanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I think I am in the minority because I wasn't too fond of this one. As you said, the Nighmares were so original and unique it made a really interesting read for a change. I found the love triangle written pretty well too, it's just the guys themselves I didn't like because they seemed too perfect :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cover is just so cute and different in a way, well since all YA book looks so alike these days

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's done- I added it to my to-read list! I just love the concept of nigtmares! Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete

Jot down your feels, your thoughts, your musings
I Listen!