ARC Review: Peregrine Harker & The Black Death by Luke Hollands

Name of book: Peregrine Harker and The Black Death (#1)
Author: Luke Hollands
Publication: June 3rd 2013 by Sparkling Books Ltd
Genre: YA Historical Fiction, Thriller
Source: Provided by the kind publisher...
Goodreads


MURDER. SPIES. EXPLOSIONS. REVENGE.

Peregrine Harker is about to learn you're never too young to die.

London 1908: A secret society stalks the murky streets, a deadly assassin lurks in the shadows and a series of unexplained deaths are linked by a mystery symbol…

When boy-detective Peregrine Harker stumbles across a gruesome murder he sparks a chain of events that drag him on a rip-roaring journey through a world of spluttering gas lamps, thick fog, deadly secrets and dastardly villains.

Every step of Peregrine’s white-knuckle adventure brings him closer to the vile heart of a terrifying mystery – the true story behind the Brotherhood of the Black Death.


-- My Rating --


4/5 Oscars: Really liked it

-- My Thoughts --


     I didn't know what to expect while reading this book. I didn't know whether to classify it as middle grade or YA. But no matter what genre it is in, I definitely fell in love with its uniqueness and action-packed plot!
     Peregrine Harker is a journalist boy with a wide imagination and a strong backbone in the never-aging London. He would do everything to get a good scoop for the newspaper. And when his boss tells him to investigate the reasons for the current rise of tea prices, he is swept in into a network of lies, deceive, The Black Death, and empty coffins. One that he might not get out of alive.
     Well, if you weren't intrigued by the summary, you have no damn taste! I was pretty hooked up with the summary and The Black Death! And this book did not disappoint. I loved it that Luke Hollands gave Peregrine such a unique voice. It was unlike anything I have read before. Peregrine Harker is like the old friend you had, the one that you will always adore and recognize even after years of not seeing them. The secondary characters are just as intriguing.
     The mystery and the thrill woven into this book were a perfect dose. When I found out the culprit, I wanted to smack myself for not finding it out sooner! The plot is action-driven, you will never get bored. And the descriptions of the beautiful, vast London are so wonderful, I could imagine being there, right at that moment!
     This book might not make it to my all time favorites list, but this is one book that you will 
throughout-ly enjoy. One that you will pass around to all your friends to read. And one that will 
leave you satisfied with the ending but still anxious to read about Peregrine's next adventure!

5 comments:

  1. I like the sound of this. It reminds me a bit of The Agency series by Y.S. Lee. I can't wait for it to come out and will be adding it to my "to read" list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haven't reed The Agency but it sounds intriguing.

      Delete
  2. Hmm. I'm not sure about this one-- normally I like a character driven plot, but maybe I could make an exception, because this does sound intriguing. Lovely review, Soma! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, me , too. but this one was so good that I didn't mind!

      Delete
  3. Ι'm excited to find this web site. I want to to thank you for ones time due to this wonderful read!! I definitely liked every bit of it and I have you saved to fav to look at new things in your web site.

    My homepage: Sensual Massage London

    ReplyDelete

Jot down your feels, your thoughts, your musings
I Listen!